That’s when he encountered a group of men driving around in two vehicles in search of rival gang members, the paper says.
When they reached the back yard of a home, one of the men saw Antonio and believed he was warning the rivals. And he began firing, hitting the boy several times in the back and side, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy told reporters Friday.
The alleged shooter, Derrick Allmon, 19, was about 10 feet away from Antonio when the fatal shots were fired, the report says. The teen reportedly tossed the gun into a nearby sewer and ran away.
“This didn’t have to happen,” McCarthy said as he announced charges in Antonio’s death, the Sun-Times says.
Besides Allmon, three others were charged with first-degree murder in the Aug. 20 shooting: Jabari Williams, 22; Michael Baker, 19; and Paris Denard, 19.McCarthy told reporters that Allmon had been released from prison in early August after serving 18 months for possession of a loaded weapon. Corrections officials said Allmon served 21 months, the paper says